View Single Post
      11-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I painted the calipers black on my wife's Le Mans Blue 335is Coupe last year shortly after redelivery. I used the G2 kit and bought it on Amazon. It's a two-part epoxy which has to be mixed together. It's not a spray and must be brushed on. Everything has to be ready to go before you mix because it will start setting up. You only have a couple of hours. and you can't stop once you start. It's very runny and drippy initially but starts to get sticky. I'd do the two front calipers first for the best results.

While the brush in the kit is OK for large areas, I went to Home Depot and bought a set of their artist's brushes that I found in the paint section. They're relatively inexpensive, buy two sets. Make sure that you use latex gloves and have a good supply because as paint gets on the gloves and the brushes you'll be changing them out a few times.

It's really a 2-day/weekend job. You'll probably spend a lot more time jacking up the car, removing the wheels, wire brushing and cleaning the calipers, and extensively masking anything you don't want the epoxy on, and then reversing all of that after it's dried than you will painting. I let everything dry overnight before I took the tape off and put the wheels back on. You don't want to mess up your hard work by being impatient at the end. You'll get the best results if you take the calipers off the rotors but this will add considerable time to the project.

I can post pics or point you to my Picasa web album if you want to see the results on my wife's car.

Appreciate 0