View Single Post
      08-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Need some further help on coolant hose routing:

On the 3.0si Z4, the upper coolant hose has a smaller output nipple, which runs to the inlet of the cabin heater core.

The return of the heater core runs into the middle of the expansion tank. Further below, there is another hose which seems to run to the oil system, with yet another smaller hose on the opposite end of the radiator as the entrance of the oil cooler.

Then, if you have auto, there is a separate sandwhich plate which mounts to the bottom of the expansion tank:

My confusion: The MANUAL trans radiator from BMW seems to be missing the smaller hose barb on the passenger end tank, which I thought was for the oil cooler?? Yet, it still has the smaller hose connection beneath the expansion tank.

Can anyone explain where I'm getting confused? I was assuming the only difference between MANUAL and AUTO radiators was not in the radiator, but in the Mounting Plate itself.

Making matters even more confusing, Mishimoto claims the MANUAL radiator they supply has the lower-driver hole blocked off, which if that is correct, then someone has this wrong...