IDLE TIME
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: still searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
What I know about cats:

1. Metallic cats handle the heat of supercharger setups better than ceramic cats.

2. Precious heavy metal (platinum) inside the cat serves as the catalyst for the reaction. The more there is, the more pollutants are taken out of the exhaust (and the less likely it is you'll trip a CEL). There's no cheap way to add more platinum. In this sense, a 200 cell cat with 5x the amount of precious metals will flow and reduce emissions better than a standard 400 cell cat. But again, these precious metals are expensive!

3. The placement of the material inside the cat is important. In cheap cats, it is laid out like a rug and then rolled up. In high horsepower applications, this construction method suffers from the material telescoping, restricting exhaust flow- or even blowing out completely.

4. The cell count is only a cross sectional measurement. CPSI = cells per square inch. Obviously the length plays into how much restriction it poses in the exhaust.

In a nutshell, you get what you pay for. Cheap cats are just that - cheap. They work on stock Hondas, but not on high horsepower BMWs. I hated the price, but I went with HJS cats for my car's custom section 1. I'm sure DKF can chime in to let you know that the materials cost is unavoidable if you want quality. Unfortunately many owners say:

"Will this allow me to run headers without a CEL? Yes? I want it as cheap as possible!"
Very well stated and you are 100% correct. Congratulations on the HJS cats excellent mod. Cream of the crop cats !!! I agree there are many levels of cats. You are correct again metallic cats handle the heat much better than the ceramic cats. Once again you are right on target with the amount and placement of the precious material within the cat. We put a lot of research into our cats. My engineer is away in boot camp. (this would be a great time to have him here) I know our cats are a medium to upper grade cat. They are by no means a cheap cat. They were designed to work with our system as an independent component which relies on the other components to produce the exhaust flow we are achieving. How they would compare to HJS is really beyond my scope at this time ( That is why I pay my engineer lol) I do know according to my engineer our cats would give them a run for their money. My engineer developed this system for performance and cost in mind to our customers. I hope this helped with out confusing anyone. If more information is required let me know and I will attempt to answer your questions.

Last edited by IDLE TIME; 03-21-2013 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: oops found spelling error
Appreciate 0