View Single Post
      06-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
mimarcos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, 2017 S3 APR1

Clanging after Adjustment (Strut Tower Pin Pulled)

Hi all,

About a week ago, I had an alignment done at a BMW dealer on my '06 Z4MR. I spoke with the mechanic that was doing the work on my car and brought in specific camber/toe-in requirements. He talked me down from some of the more aggressive settings (he seemed pretty knowledgeable on the topic) due to increased tire wear. In essence, I wound up agreeing to basically letting him go for the standard ranges. It wasn't important enough for me to have the stamp of "we won't cover the work done if we don't do it our way" badge on the work order.

Anyway, it appears that he pulled the strut tower pin on the front left. Right after the alignment, I noticed a clanging sound coming from the front of the car when the left tire goes over bumps. It sounds like I'm riding over a loose manhole, or like if someone left a wrench in there and it's bouncing around, every time I go over a decent sized road imperfection. It's been getting better and worse, but it definitely sounds like it's coming from the left.

My question is: would pulling the strut pin lead to this noise? I've seen a lot of references to the strut tower pins, but the vast majority of what I've seen is that you need to pull it to adjust the camber (?) in the front. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow one way or another, but I'd just like to know how hard I should press that this doesn't sound right. As of right now, I feel like there is something wrong, not normal, even with the pin pulled.

Thanks in advance for any info!

EDIT: Just realized I posted this in Engine, Exhaust, and Drivetrain instead of Suspension. Sorry about that!

Last edited by mimarcos; 06-25-2014 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Wrong subforum
Appreciate 0