View Single Post
      11-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

I can hardly wait for the paint either, that's the icing on the cake but there's no half stepping it to get there. I'll keep this thread updated as my mod journal.

The lift in the shop was worth every penny. Especially when you have disabilities and can't crawl around on a creeper. I need to replace a motor running capacitor right now though, it blew up when I did my brakes. Kinda pisses me off that the capacitor blew just after it went out of warranty

I just finished building my shop last year. I designed and built the whole shop by myself using a skid loader except for the concrete and putting the sheetmetal on the roof.

Taking apart the doors. What a PITA, I managed to get one door apart. I think BMW used enough butyl on the sound deadening panel to do 4 or 5 cars. I spent more time trying to carefully cut that stuff and not destroy the foam panel than I did anything else today... Exept for playing Skyrim on the Xbox :biggrin:

I still need battery power so I'm leaving the door air bags and wiring harness in place for now. Once I disconnect the battery I can unplug the wiring harness at the jamb and shove it inside the door.

Pulled out the window, weather stripping, mirror mount, plugs, latch and that thingamabob that holds the door open LOL... I can't remember WTF that part is called right now. Good thing my life doesn't depend on answering that question.

By pulling almost everything off the door, it makes it easy to mask all the holes off from the inside of the door.

Don't forget to pull all the plastic plugs on every panel too. Small details make a big difference in the finished product.

Door handle is easy to take apart. Will look better painted separatly than as an assembly.

Appreciate 0