mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntzUntzUntz
Hey guys,

Don't have a Z anymore but you're my favorite group of the bunch so I'ma post here

Not here to share any enlightening information, just got to get some stuff off my chest.

I'm sure there's a lot of us that come across people that simply don't understand our hobby and sheer passion for cars. My problem is that those people happen to be ALL my family members and ALL my friends, every. single. last. one of them.

Back when I had my M, there were nights I come from work exhausted, and the only way I'd unwind is going for a spirited drive in the M. No amount of alcohol or drug (not that I do any) could solve so many problems as much as a nice canyon run in the M. On my way out my parents would ask "where are you going?" and I reply, "oh just driving for couple hours" and they'll look at me like something's wrong with me. This is where I'd like to use the Jesse card and say, "something about engines that calms me down" lol. Wouldn't actually say that but I'd think it haha. Same goes for ordering car parts! Every time a package with the logo "ECS" or such on it, my dad shakes his head and says "more junk." Here comes the Jesse card again, "some overnight parts from Japan" haha ahh crack myself up...

This is around the time where I'd start making the car louder, lower, stiffer, faster. And everyone around me would hate it, while at car meets it's the complete opposite. My dad would always say "your car looks like a Christmas tree" ever since I put bronze wheels on the M lol. Not sure if you guys noticed but I was selling a bunch of parts after I sold the Z, and some were sealed and unused. I enjoy a DIY but never had a second hand when it came to a little wrenching, so my car never got to see those parts. Everyone would get mad for spending all the time and money when I could easily lease a new car and not worry about anything. That does seem logical but where's the fun in that? Anyone can say "I bought that" but not everyone can say "I built that." It's even better when you built that with... your dad, your friend, etc, but that's just unfortunate for me. Which I can't help but throw in a Toretto quote here, "nothing else matters, not the mortgage, not the store, not my team and all their bs. For those 10 seconds or less, I'm free" lol.

We rave about strangers that complement our cars, which is an awesome perk with these cars, but where it's really at is if the same is with the people close to you. If you do have people like that surrounding you, you're extremely lucky. It can really go a long way when you have a second hand to help you, to have a conversation outside of baseball, a bond that's the same with the next person. That's why I enjoy being around car guys is because you effortlessly connect with people as if you've known them for years. I don't know what it is, but we all share a bond that other people can't see. Which is the worst part, because you can't even explain this to non-car people. Sometimes you wish they can just feel 1% of what it's like to experience what we do just so that they can understand.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. I'm good now lol.
I agree with above posters that you shouldn't have sold your car.

But if you have an interest in cars you should naturally meet people regularly who have the same interests. Hit the car meets keep up on current events with guys you meet there.

Without my car friends I wouldn't be the same