View Single Post
      02-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #72
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I'll contact them if Vorshlag doesn't get back to me or if they're not interested. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
With RSMs You will need to know the shaft size of the Ohlins.
My Clubsports have a larger shaft than OE & I have a different size RSM
Good to know. I'll ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604skyline View Post
hope its ok I stick my nose in this thread. I for one am definitely interested for sure.

some general questions; what makes ohlins so good?

how is this kit going to compare to the moton and/or motion control kit that are in the $6,000 range

thanks.
For one thing they use linear springs and monotube shocks. Another big advantage is we're going to get full testing so its a real engineered solution. Every other coilover was built without extensive engineering (including the race suspensions you mention, those you need to ask for the specs you want).

The only kit that I'm aware of that was developed properly for our car was KW, but they use progressive springs and twin tube shocks (clubsports use linear in front but still progressive rears).

The kit would compare to an MCS single adjustable non-remote kit. You can't really compare it to the higher end kits, as those are for motorsports. So they're supposed to be rebuilt pretty often and are not meant or warrantied for street use.

The R&T kit also has the DFV Valve, which allows it to absorb high speed damping for optimal performance. Read up on that link.

From that same site:

Quote:
The choice of materials used is one of the key factors behind Öhlins success. Each component is surface treated to ensure reduced friction and superior performance. The piston shaft and damper walls are micro-finished and plateau honed for optimum lubricity and low friction coefficient. This attention to detail is the same across the entire range of Öhlins products. Without this fine surface finishing, excessive friction can reduce the compliancy of the damper causing a loss of function.

Damping rate on the R&T units is fully adjustable and ties compression and rebound together as a matched setting, meaning that in 99% of cases, the units will work superbly, straight ‘out of the box’ with only the smallest adjustments required to suit the car or drivers individual preferences. Despite what other suspension manufacturers may tell you, comfort is king, even when you are trying to set-up a competition machine. Our vast experience on events like the World Rally Championship and Isle of Man TT races has shown us that the fastest drivers and riders are those that aren’t being shaken to bits as they go flat out. The ‘science of compliance’ is a hugely important part of our design work.

And last but not least, is durability. But hey, we’re Swedish, so chances are you have already guessed that we’re used to building components that survive one of the toughest environments in the World. The carbon steels bodies are salt spray tested and can service 240 hours of abuse, whilst still retaining function. Don’t let those stunning race car looks fool you. These are real-world units for daily driven cars.
These shocks are so good the perfectionists at Singer used them.

I'm sure there are more reasons and hopefully others will chime in.