Shereef_Osman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC & 89 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Shereef,

Looks good! Really, this is a quality job with a great looking result.
Did you weigh the materials after removal? How much weight did this save?

I have the same questions as others about torsional stiffness however. It's not how rigid the materials are per se, but what the overall structure adds to the design in some cases that matters. So it may be more complex than just how rigid the materials are. I poked around a bit, and this type of structure is usually added to a design to aid in maintaining torsional stiffness. I'm no expert, and I'm not an engineer, simply a person with an interest who tends to research and bit and probably gets in over their head in these type of discussions.

Bottom Line: I really like the look, I just wonder what this does (or does not do) in terms of that. I guess the only way to find out would have been to set up a rig to test before and after....

Is that a total replacement to the stock sound system as well? I think I see a head unit missing and different kind of display...interesting....anything to share on that one (sorry if I missed it in the DIY section).
Thanks! I was very happy with the end result. Unfortunately we didn't weight the materials as they were removed, but it wasn't just the metal that was removed, there are all kinds of electronics hidden in that wall, I couldn't believe how big the bluetooth module was. I don't know if all coupes have this but mine even had a TV module, lol. All those extra things were removed and all the wiring belonging to it all were also removed, along with all the metal, factory subwoofers, factory rear speakers, I'm sure it would add up to at least 60-70 pounds. That being said, our goal was not to reduce weight, especially since we added two Morel Ultimo subs, a zapco amp, and obviously lots of MDF, fiberglass and leather.

As for the stiffness, I really can't say for certain but it doesn't feel as if anything was weakened. After the V was cut out, it was plated with 1/8 thick steel to try and regain any stiffness lost, if any?

Ya the whole sound system was replaced. Morel Elate 3 ways in the front, Morel Ultimo 8s in the back and a Zapco DC1000 amp powering it all. For the deck we used an AVIC-Z110BT. For entertainment a Mac Mini runs iTunes so I can get my whole library on the go.
Appreciate 0