View Single Post
      09-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

There is a definite issue with Z4 coupes making noise when the frameless windows are closed and you drive over bumps or accelerate ... i.e. when the body flexes a bit. The noise comes from the top of the window rubbing against the rubber seals around the door. As you say, if you open the window just 10mm, the creaking noise will go away.

I have two Z4s and both do it ... the first one did it from brand new. When I complained to BMW, I was told to clean the rubber seals, and apply some silicone lubricrant spray (put it on a paper towel and wipe it on) onto the rubber seals. Mostly, this just wipes off any residual grit on the seals. [After applying, make sure the window is at least half-open ... close the door ... and leave to completely dry ... otherwise it gets all over your window and it is messy to clean off the windows.] This works ... for a a few weeks ... then repeat.

Subsequently, I have been told ... by a different person at the same BMW dealership ... that silicone spray is not a good idea ... and indeed the BMW owner's booklet advises against it .... but then what do you do? I have gone back to using it.

Maybe just try clean the rubber seals with a damp tissue cloth ... and see if that fixes it. Otherwise ... give the silicone lubricant a go ... and see if it works for you.
Appreciate 0