08-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
OK, very confused...is what was removed a cat or just resonators? Or, is there even a difference?

I would like this setup but I am told that if I remove cats in Ontario that its a potential $20k fine (that's from a reputable muffler shop). If its just resonators, then this should not have anything to do with emissions system, correct?
Over the years and various forums I have asked this question and to be honest, haven't received a definitive answer. Some people refer to them as secondary cats and that seems to be the consensus, others as resonators. If they are cats, then we have to live with them, if resonators then they can go.

The intriguing aspect is that there are no sensors associated with these which would suggest that they are resonators. The 3.0Si differs from the M in exhaust design so the M folks can't really help us here. What needs to be done is for someone who has removed them to look inside, or preferably to section one and report to the forum. Pics would be great!

Removal of these with the install of a larger volume resonator/muffler in the tunnel is a great mod, it’s clean, simple, inexpensive, and produces the desired increase in volume without resonance.

So I ask again: Has anyone removed these and looked inside? A grateful forum awaits!