03-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Thanks for sharing. I always find it interesting when comparing vehicle costs across different markets. While it sounds like the savings of buying a USDM BMW and importing it back to Canada would be minimal, it potenially could be worth while if you were planning a trip/vacation to the US anyway sort of like the Euro delivery option. What about with used cars? I suppose it may be more economical to import a used car from the US if there is minimal depreciation on used cars in Canada.
If you lived in the Toronto/Mississauga area the cost and time to get to Buffalo would be minimal (couple hour drive). I would give up free maintenance for 4 years to save $4500 on a new BMW. Why don't more do it?

I had a someone fly from Regina to Cincinnat to buy my used GTI. Him and his son flew here (wired money before he came which was surprising) and then drove back the estimated 23 hours. I sold it for $6500 and it spent almost all it's life in the Southeast U.S. and was close to perfect as a 100k mile 6 year car could be. Their opinion was 6 year old car in the same condition up there was impossible to find and it would have cost another $4k. I was worried about them getting here on their one way ticket and not liking the car (luckily didn't happen).
Appreciate 0