05-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Congrats and beautiful M!

Just curious, what didn't you like about your Cayman? That's the only car besides the Z4M Coupe I'd consider if I was looking for a car again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
My question too. Every once in a while I think about the Cayman S and I've never heard of anyone who was happy to trade it for something else. Do tell.
Just to clarify... I had a 2007 Cayman 2.7 with Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and Sport Chrono. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Cayman. The PASM made the car compliant on the street and sure-footed on the track. My complaints are ones that I think many Cayman owners have talked about. Oil smoke and squishy brake pedal. I experienced both of these.

After several run sessions oil would collect in the oil vapor separator and then get fed into the engine causing clouds, I mean CLOUDS of smoke to pour out the exhaust. Afterward it would take up to a week to clear out. The fix (a GT3 vapor separator) was stupid expensive.

The other issue of the squishy brake pedal (I am not talking about fade or boiling the fluid) is also well known on all Caymans. This car was the first Porsche I have owned that felt like the pedal was on its way to the floor. Not cofidence inspiring on the street or the track. Two different dealers checked the brake system and both times I was told that this is how the brakes feel now. Porsche decided to make the brakes more like what average drivers are used to! Are you freakin' kidding me? Go buy a Buick if you think the brakes are too hard. Again the fix (GT3 brake booster and braided stainless lines) was expensive.

In my opinion Porsche has been putting less effort into making their cars track worthy ever since they introduced the 986/996 (not including the GT3). The engines are known for their lack of robustness. No limited slip option (until last year when their sales tanked). God knows what will happen now that VW owns Porsche. That is why I sold the Cayman and bought an M.

Last edited by mhrir; 05-09-2010 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0