View Single Post
      09-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
They heat-soak when ur stuck in traffic. As soon as you start moving (I.e track duty) your AIT's are the same as any other intake including stock. "Heat-soak" is thrown around far too much
Agree.

I have an aFe with the RPI scoop, and I ran last weekend at VIR. On my last session, ambient air temp was around 85 degrees. My data logger shows intake air temp on my out lap, in traffic, at 91. Once at speed, intake temp ranged from 86-88 degrees. So, intake air temp with the aFe was really no different than ambient—what you’d expect stuffing air into the thing at speeds ranging from 39 to 130 mph and averaging 79 mph.

Now, I do now have gold foil insulation on the bottom and sides of the aFe, but that’s really just for looks. Before I put that on, back in February, Sabbanick, RandysV10 and I were all at VIR and all running Aim Solo loggers. I had the aFe without the insulation, Sabba the GruppeM (with a tune), and Randy was stock. Sabba and I were I the same run group, and on the same session our intake temps were almost identical and around ambient—in a couple spots the GruppeM showed 2 degrees higher. I’ve somehow deleted Randy’s data file, but from memory having looked at this a couple months ago, his temps were within a degree or two on mine and Sabba’s.

Last edited by MFGJR; 09-02-2012 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: can't type...
Appreciate 0