10-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
Advan is a popular Japanese brand and some professional BMW racing teams use them. At $750/wheel, they're hardly "knockoffs". They're 5 lbs lighter per wheel than the OEM 18" which I see people track with often. I think they'll be satisfactory for now. I don't find Apex Arcs attractive.

Point taken about not even needing a pad upgrade but I know I need to do the fluid so I might as well just upgrade the pads and lines. Any recommendations for pads? I'd like to use them for street as well. Why do some folks swap?
Sorry - I'm familiar with Advans, I myself am a Volks guy. I didn't understand what you meant when you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
I'm a fan of looks off-track, so I'm looking into forged 19" Advan brand wheels. (8.5 kg Front, 9.2 kg rear)
... thought that was your way of saying "knock offs."

In regards to pads, most people will tell you just like all-season tires, there's no 1 pad that does both well, you'll end up getting a compromise of both. But for your first few events you may be able to get away with something like Hawk HP+. Here's a good link that compares the different Hawk pads, the pads to the right being more appropriate for race/track application:

http://andrew-racing.com/file/630-Ha...ison+chart.pdf

Another thing to consider is some pads can be corrosive so you should do your research on those (ie I've heard Cobalts fall under this category). I personally run PFC-06's and they have been great so far, and are pretty easy on your rotors relative to other track pads.

Why people switch? Few reasons I can think of:

1) Track pads are loud as heck, at every light you'll sound like a school bus
2) They need to warm up in order to perform and you may never reach those temps on normal street driving so street pads would actually perform better (especially in the colder temps)
3) You run the risk of warping your rotors (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but if the brakes don't warm up properly, you may leave uneven deposit on your rotors, especially if it's wet.