View Single Post
      02-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #933
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

+1 on the pricing. Given the response so far to the GB I think a lot of us are, as Chris noted, trying to figure out why the pricing is as listed is so expensive for the mufflers.

The components (Aeroturbine, Borla) are off the shelf and readily available. Aeroturbine plain cans are ~99 dollars each, and ~110 for the resonated version. Throw in some SS steel pipe, or some off the shelf dual or single tips, and it's a pretty nice setup (like this one) and still around 350 - 400 in parts. With some fabrication, and we're talking around 600 - 650 dollars in parts and labor.

Some here have already built their own systems (Jim's was done a couple of years back by the prior owner of his car) for around that price, and my shop quoted me about the same. Sure, you'll have to hack into the stock X-pipe, but that's not a big deal.

How do we get from that (above) to 1,400 - 1,500 for mufflers alone, or 2,200 - 2,300 when paired with an x-pipe?

You have great product here, and a good array of options to choose from, and what will turn out to be great sound. I appreciate the time and effort to build something for our somewhat niche market. On the other hand, I just can't justify laying out that kind of cash though when I could have my shop do it for so much less, and I'd guess a lot of other are thinking the same thing.

A lot of us would be happy to avoid the hassle of a custom build, and the promise of a consistent looking product. But it needs to be priced with all the considerations noted here in place (or at least explained).
Appreciate 0