04-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #79
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondelta View Post
With this being attached to a plastic bumper up front, how well does it really improve the downforce, or is it primarily for looks? The plastic bumper cover gives and flexes before it really puts any downpull on the front end.
The bumper is VERY sturdy! The only flex I have is in the splitter it self. If the bumper is flexing because of weight (air flow) on it that same weight is still on the front end regardless if it is flexing or not. Flex in it self does does not decrease downforce but rather the way in which the part flexs.Take a look at the current generation Ferrari or RedBull front wings on there 2010/2011 F1 cars. At high speeds the wings flex downwards to increase down force which gives these cars a massive advantage over the rest of the pack in highspeed turns. I was driving next to my brother on the way home from the track last weekend and the splitter was pointing it self downward a tiny bit at speed (80mph+) but that would only serve to increase the shovel effect hence increasing downforce. Now conversely a couple years ago in F1 there was the flexing rear wings where teams were engineering flex into the rear wing so it would tilt backwards at high speed. Hence leveling out the upper plane and decreasing downforeace at speed to increase speed

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0