Thread: My dyno graphs
View Single Post
      07-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

UPDATED: My dyno graphs with Evolve Tune

Figured I'd start a thread now that I have more than one set of dyno runs for my car. I did my first run last August when the car was completely stock, and then this weekend with the GruppeM and custom exhaust system installed. I'll do another run after I install the Evolve Tune and let it adapt.

Dynos were taken at Aggressive Performance in San Jose, CA. They are an MR2 specialty shop, but Mfanatic325 hooked me up with the guy, and he's a real down to earth guy and charges a decent price so I figured might as well keep giving him business.

Machine used was a Dynapack Chassis Dynamometer

Conditions for first run: Around 10am, sunny and clear day, temperature was around 73 degrees. My car was completely stock, had about 38.7K miles on it. Last oil change was done at 36K and air filter was changed as well at that time. Red is the first run, green is second, blue is third, each done about 3 minutes apart from each other.

Conditions for second run: Around 10:30am, sunny and clear day, temperature was about 75 degrees. Car now has 45K miles on it. Engine related upgrades are RPi Scoop, GruppeM intake, custom exhaust system. Red is the first run, green is second, blue is third, magenta is fourth. First and second runs were done about 2 minutes apart, second and third run was done about 5 minutes later, fourth run was about 3 minutes after that. Seems the DME was acting funny on this one, more on that in the notes below.

According to Sal at Evolve, the dip you see in the second graph at about 6500RPM is due to the DME and their multiple ignition maps. The DME switches between the maps depending on the amount of knock it "thinks" it records, so he thinks what happened during this set of runs was that the DME was switching to another map for "lowered conditions". The "dyno mode" option of the tune will help solve this, so I shouldn't see this phenomenon on the next set of runs after I upload the tune. This is why the peak numbers weren't as high as the first run since it wasn't allowing the engine to open up to it's full potential all the way up to redline.

Some things to note:
-In the first set of runs, the red and green lines were with a fan only pointed at the radiator, the blue line is with an additional fan pointed directly at the stock intake scoop. All second set of runs were using the dual fan system.
-It's crazy to see how much more "rough" the graphs are with intake and exhaust upgrades but with no tune. I'm really curious to see how they smooth out after the tune.
-If I line up the physical printouts for HP, they follow roughly the same plot, with the second run having a noticable dip right above 3K RPM compared to stock, and the second having more power from about 6.2-6.7K RPM. I'm really curious to see how it pulls above 6.7K after the tune with the dyno mode option.

I am downloading the software and have electronic copies of my runs, so I'll try to create more print outs showing the best run of the first vs. the best of the second, etc.

I have videos I can upload if you guys want, but to be honest I used my phone to take them (forgot to bring the flip cam ) and the mic didn't do that awesome of a job picking up the awesome sound of the runs. But in the first video I have you can see a bunch of black smoke coming from the exhaust around 6700RPM when the DME switches to the different map.

Conditions for third run: About 11am, sunny and clear day, about 72 degrees outside. Car now has 47,600 miles on it. Evolve tune was installed at 45,616 miles. Inspection II was done at 47K miles, oil change, no valves needed adjusting, spark plugs replaced, and diff oil changed. One track day that also included one autocross was done between this dyno and the last (both after the Inspection II).

This graph shows the best plot from the first set of runs when the car was stock last August, the best plot from the second set of runs a few months ago, and the best plot from the most recent set of runs with the Evolve software. Blue line is OEM. Green line is with GruppeM intake and custom exhaust and RPi scoop. Red line is GruppeM intake, custom exhaust, RPi scoop, and Evolve Tune. Don't mind the numbers in the boxes at the bottom for gains, it's pulling from the green line vs. red line, and since green wasn't exactly running properly it is giving a gain higher than normal. I'd focus more on blue line vs. red line.

Keep in mind the DME was acting funny for the green line run. Even one of the guys at Evolve said something seemed off and the numbers shouldn't have been that low.

Anyways, from the red line you can see the whole "pulls like a freight train" thing that everyone keeps talking about. The HP gain from 6-7K is amazing, and it looks like it keeps going up past 8K (dyno was set to cut off at 8K) so I can probably bang straight into the rev limiter if I wanted to on the track. Same with torque, decent gains across the band, and you can feel it when you drive the car too.

Sport mode is also way more manageable, not as twitchy but still gives a very noticeable "kick in the pants". Maybe after a ton more track days I'll grow enough courage to try it with the sport mode on...

Last edited by gferil; 10-17-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0