05-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
I've been stuck in the office all day, but my buddy tells me its 23C or 73F - positively tropical for this place, this time of year. Got to bust out of here soon!!

Is that a pet tortoise you have, or a local critter that comes by your place?

If you want to see a story on a unique stray animal, check out this link:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ermen-527.html

You won't find one of these at the ASPCA - anywhere!!! I've been told that you should not feed a stray cat if you don't want him to stick around - but this is ridiculous!!!
First, I hope you were able to get out and enjoy the weather! We had a cold and wet storm move through here yesterday along with some thunderstorms. I can't remember a weekend at the end of May where that's happened.

As for that Beluga, looks like they fed the "stray cat".

Warning, going way here, but since you asked.

Hercules is a desert tortoise who is 55 years old. He's ours, not just a local critter who wanders by, and he lives in the backyard during half the year and hibernates inside in the downstairs bathroom cupboard the rest of the year.

We have a special license for him from Fish and Game since it's now illegal to remove these guys from the wild (or put them back due to the risk of introducing diseases). That wasn't the case when he was captured a long almost 50 years ago but how as an Endangered Species he's protected.

We came upon him when he was diagnosed with a terminal bladder stone. (Due to size and complexity, and because it interferes with recycling of fluids during hibernation.) We took him in and found a herpetologist who was willing to use experimental laparoscopic to remove the stone (the other approach is the crack open the shell, which is living bone, which has a lower success/survival rate and takes years to heal). He's fine now and very healthy and will probably outlive us.

He's a pretty smart little guy for having such a small brain, has a great personality, will eat from your hand, and knocks on the door when he's hungry or wants to come in (sometimes he sleeps in the downstairs bathroom when it's really hot in the summer). He's also our dog's buddy. In fact, the dog is his protector and will watch over him while he eats, chasing off Jays and anything else that looks like a threat, and checks on him about 5 times a day to make sure he's okay. (Unusual since dogs often try to eat these guys--not in this case though.)
Appreciate 0