Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
Yeah unfortunately I don't have Win 7 Pro, but win 7 home, so I can't get XP mode. Upgrading to Win 7 Pro might be easier than messing around with my old XP computer.
I tried running it like this, and was not successful. I think the software requires to many important configuration steps to run properly in XP mode.

I would recommend trying to find an old laptop lying around to run it on. Or maybe dual booting to XP or something. I'm thinking about installed XP to a big SD card and running it from my macbook pro (which has win7 64 as its primary OS).
Ya, setting up the built-it XP mode VM in 7 was tedious. Once it's done, though, the TIS launches/runs very well. I have a shortcut on my desktop that opens the TIS in the XP mode VM with one click. You'd never know it was running in Win 7 64-bit. Pretty seamless. I will post some simplified directions here with the necessary add-on files if it's helpful. I just have to be at my laptop to do so.

That said, the more I've used VirtualBox, the more I appreciate it's simplicity compared to Microsoft's built-in 'solution'. It's really terrific. I use it on the windows side and VMWare Fusion on the Mac side for just about everything. I know VMWare makes a Fusion for windows... But I'm cheap, and VirtualBox is a great price (free).

I do computer/cell phone/GPS forensics as part of my work. Dealing with volatile data, responding to data breaches, removing/analyzing viruses and malware over the past few years has really made me appreciate a clean and easy VM.
Appreciate 0