View Single Post
      11-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #255
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

At the risk of repeating several comments...
  1. I did the CDV replacement with a dummy valve (funny, my indy mechanic was fooled and said 'you should take that out'.)
  2. I put in some really high-end trans fluid during my total fluid replacement upon purchase (not going to get into a brand debate, do your research and choose the best you can, i.e. Royal Purple or the like)
  3. I replaced the bushings with Rogue products
  4. I installed the longer clutch stop (I recently posted my experiences)

All are common mods/swaps and each improved the shifting. Frankly, the clutch stop had the most dramatic effect - look at the order I did things in and draw your own conclusions.

Now, as far as technique goes, until the car warms up a bit, I short shift into second at around 3000 rpm. No shudder, no grind, smooth as goose poop.

After I see some heat on the temp gauge, I shift above 5000 and often above 6000. Again, all smooth as goose poop.

I have found that adding a little gas as I re-engage the clutch makes the sport mode (especially) a real joy. So does shifting over 6000 generally.

Yes, it sounds like the Batmobile turbine at that speed but if I wanted a quiet car I would have bought a Prius.

If I had to choose one thing it would be the clutch stop. The thing I'd drop from the list first is the bushings - but even though the improvement was subtle for street performance there was an improvement. But my list is pretty inexpensive so I did it all.

inTgr8r - After a brief but enjoyable early career driving big rigs and dump trucks (15 speed in one and 5 & 4 in the other) I nearly always double clutch... especially downshifting.

Nothing new here, I suppose. But perhaps this provides some confirmation of some really good ideas posted above.

Carry on.
Appreciate 0