04-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #40
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Thanks, last question. I'm currently running 440f/550r... I don't mind increasing the front but the next increment would be 500 and 600 for the front (front and rear springs are different lengths. If I went 600 in the front, how would handling be affected if I keep the rear at 550? Should I also be increasing the rear. I don't mind the squirmy back during braking... it's just the front end lightness on the uphills and certain transitions that I want to address the most.
Looking at the photo of your car, IMO it's far too low at the rear, so you've lost the rake angle and the underside of the car is now parallel to the road. This configuration will generate lift irrespective of the spring rates and despite the fact that you've installed a lip splitter. I'm assuming that you've got an adjustable suspension set-up, if so, before you consider changing the springs, I'd like to suggest that you raise the rear end of the car so that the cill just in front of the rear wheels is about 1" or slightly more higher than the cill just behind the front wheels on the same side. This way you will create a Venturi effect under the car which will improve the aerodynamic profile of your car which will reduce lift under acceleration and forward movement at speed. If you prevent the lifting, the front end can't drop so much under braking, therefore you will also considerably improve braking with much reduced pitching. This will cost you nothing to do.

EDIT
I've just revisited the beginning of this thread and I see that you had the car corner weighted. I really can't see how "static" corner weighting can work when in the dynamic situation it promotes aerodynamic lift, which alters the dynamic corner weights. If the front of the car is getting "light" during acceleration, then the ride height adjustments which produced the perfect static corner weighting are blown out of the window when the car is driven!

Last edited by exdos; 04-21-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0