SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
You dont explain the methods you a using, so its difficult to give you a specific reply.
  1. in the OP the proper bumper repair material is listed, this is the only thing you should use to rebuild the fangs.
    Normal Bondo is not designed for this application, they make an epoxy for this type of repair.
    You can however still use glaze & spot putty for minor imperfections at the paint prep stage..
  2. build up the repair area in several incremental steps. Don't try to fill it in one step.
  3. For best results you need to use a 'flat stick' sanding method for shaping the repair area.
    Never use paper in hand while sanding, it will only distort the repair area. Some of which will only show up when you put the primer on.
    If you dont have access to proper body work sanding blocks its pretty easy to improvise something.
    For a job like this a simple paint stir stick + sand paper can be made to work.
Well, never having done any body repair before, I thought that your original post was pretty vague as to what was used:
"- bumper repair epoxy
there are many different brands and packaging that this comes in."
The question has been asked but no one has pointed to a specific product. I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and then went to O'Reilly's and got the Bondo Dent Repair Kit, which included a can of Body Filler, which is what everyone in the videos seemed to be using. You mix a golf ball size glob of filler with a 1.5" strip of Red Creme. You fill in the area and then sand it down. But apparently this isn't the stuff that should be used to repair the fangs.

So I went back to O'Reilly's after Googling bumper repair epoxy and discovered that they also had this product, which is also described as a bumper repair epoxy:

So if this is the right stuff, I'll try it tomorrow. Amazon also has products by J-B Weld and Permatex that appear to be similar.

I have been building it up gradually and sanding between applications but I've been using hand-held sandpaper and a foam sanding block, so obviously this isn't working correctly. I'll try wrapping the sandpaper onto a paint stir stick and see if that works to get a sharper edge.

Anyone have any ideas about my other idea of using a fiberglass repair kit to repair the holes and cracks in the underhood shield panel? Will fiberglass work to repair this type of plastic?

Appreciate 0