View Single Post
      06-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #156
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

some info I found along the way

"50/50 wouldn't be as bad as straight 100% meth, but there really isn't a need to worry about either. Keep in mind, most research papers and wikipedia are going to be talking about meth and aluminum solely. The gas that your car runs off of will be left out of that equation. So even those who run 100% meth injection, still don't run 100% meth as the only fuel source, it's supplemental to the gasoline in your tank.

Slowcar has posted some very good links to video that show a good meth spray vs. a bad meth spray. The bad spray sorta dribbles afterwards, and I can see how some methanol would pool in your intake piping and possibly intake manifold. But for a very, very short time only. The intake manifold runs relatively hot, as it absorbs a lot of the heat off the head. Any meth that tries to pool is going to be vaporized lickity split. Your intake pipes will run cooler, but there is still enough underhood heat and major airflow through your pipes to vaporize any meth and send it on it's way through the engine. That small dribble from some meth systems after they spray just won't be around long enough to cause any corrosion issues.

Some people have mounted their spray nozzle into the intake piping at a lower point than their storage bottle, and have experienced draining the meth into the intake piping and it sits overnight. If this happens, you don't need to worry about corrosion, you'll have bigger things to worry about when you try to start the car.

But either of these issues can be avoided with a good system and proper installation.

Who blasts up their driveway under full boost and meth spraying, just to immediately shut their car down when they come to a screeching halt? I mean it's simple car maintenance to let the turbo cool a little after you've been hard on the car and in boost. So you'll either cruise under light load or let the car idle for awhile right? Well, that same habit will clear any meth pools that could have formed in your intake tract. Another way to look at it.... I drive about 1.5 hrs to get to and from work. I spray meth at anything over about 10#'s of boost. My meth light may be one for a full minute on an average day, 2 minutes tops if I'm really driving like an a$$. The other 88 minutes of engine run time is purging out any possible leftover meth from the previous spray episode.

Yes, meth is corrosive to aluminum, but it's a slow corrosion rate to begin with. Couple that with the minimal amount of time that meth is actually being sprayed or possibly in contact on aluminum parts while you drive, and it's really not an issue at all. "