View Single Post
      04-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #122
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

After having the VT mounts and RE trans mounts staring at me from the shelf for several years.....I finally installed them.

Wrt VT mounts, for me, the passenger side was a bit of a b*tch since I couldn't jack high enough to get the mount to clear the last 1/8-1/4". I was able to manually compress the mount enough to get the lower bolt free. I also re-used the heatshield from the OE passenger side mount by flattening out the tab (per an old post from Beta).

Drivers side VT mount was a breeze even though there is less room to work. Of course, it all went down opposite of how I figured it would.

Finally installed RE trans mounts, too. Probably slightly over-torqued the upper mount nuts by a couple/few NM but only gauging that based on comparison of 'hand torque vs torque wrench'-ing of the tray bolts.

As others have found, wrt the trans mounts, there is no real way to get a torque wrench up there. I think dropping that section of the exhaust and removal of the rest of the heatshield would make it loads 'easier' (or at least gain far better access to the upper mount nuts). I ended up using a low profile 1/4" ratchet w/ a regular 13mm socket. I also double checked w/ a ratcheting box wrench since I didn't trust the new 'Husky' ratchet I just got yet. In both cases, I ran the tool above the heatshield from the driver's side of the exahaust pipes but used my fingers to move the ratchet/wrench from the passenger's side of the exhaust pipes.

I made a run to HD just before they closed looking for stubby, flex, ratcheting wrenches per Bill's recommendation (Bill's Webspace!) but they had none. At least the dog got to go for a ride.