View Single Post
      01-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
I've bought the ignition switch also, sadly not as cheap as some of you, 15 bucks for the part, 25 bucks for crappy shipping..

i haven't installed it yet, as its really intermittened.. sometimes it will work for 10 goes at a time, then not for 2 or 3 turns of the key and then back to normal..

So i have the switch, just wanna be sure that this is the issue..

** the Clutch Switch **

what the hell is this all about? so you cant start the car unless you depress the clutch pedal right?? well on mine i can start the car without pressing the clutch pedal at all.. Is that normal? I have cruize control if that makes any difference??

Reason i ask (i thought it was normal, being old school and all, pretty daft if you try to even start the car in gear without pressing the clutch pedal.. so i generally start in Neutral without pressing the clutch pedal..

don't have to get in the car and its great for warming her up before finally jumping in and going…

so my question is this… will the car start without pressing the clutch pedal in Neutral? (on yours)?

i may just swap the ignition switch out anyways, and see if that does anything, but the whole clutch switch is pretty strange.. i only brought it up as my indy jumped in and looked rather strange at me when i started the car while standing next to it. (not sitting inside it

anyways.. hope this post made a little sense??

Stiggy, man awesome post mate, hat of to ya You are the DIY king mate.
on US-spec cars, there is a clutch switch. Basically, depressing the clutch pedal will hit the switch and connect the starter circuit (via relay). So it doesn't matter what gear the car is in, or in neutral. It won't start unless you depress the clutch to engage the switch.
Appreciate 0