View Single Post
      05-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #70
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Nice write up and pics. I noticed the same thing with a dry fit. Once I torqued mine down the contact happened. Great fix with the taper flat stock and good catch with the washers. Funny thing is I wondered about them when I did the install. As usual you took it to the next step and actually checked them as well as the final clearance. But I'm not surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I finally got around to installing my Strong Strut bar.

Following are few things that I ran into and how I worked around them.
First, I did not contact Paul @ Strong Strut, mainly because I didn't want to wait around.
I know their product support is 1st rate, I just wasn't willing to wait.

I had the same clearance issues as some others have had here.

One thing that I noticed while installing was that the clearance looked fine with everything loosely fitted.
I thought I was good to go.

I first snugged ( not fully tightened) the rings, then the threaded bar bolt then the inner bolt & nut.
...everything still good.

I fully tightened the rings, then the outer bar bolts.
Then as I tightened down the inner bolt & nut I could see the bar draw down closer & closer to the tube on the engine.

This told me that the bar itself is not a problem, but that the plane (angle) of the rings to bar mating surface is off a bit, thus bowing the bar down.

I know Paul supplies spacers as req'd, but I thought a tapered shim would be the best solution.

Well, since it was a holiday and I didn't have a source to pick up a taper shim; I made my own.
I used 1/8 aluminum flat stock, put it in a vise and ground it down to a taper.

..my tapered shim.

bar installed & torqued down with tapered shim installed.
....tons of clearance.

I decided to check clearances to the bonnet.

....results
The middle still has lots of room.
The rings are the tightest for clearance.

One other thing of note.
IMO the washers used under the ring nuts are inadequate.
Note how this washer is dished after being torqued once.
IMO, I think this could lead to problems, so I will be replacing them with something more substantial.
Appreciate 0