07-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #94
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
You probably have enough miles on the new blower for the breakin process, maybe its time to treat her like a bitch now?
LOL!

I've been getting more aggressive. Got to drive the car around more today and my originally spoiled sentiment continues to monotonically increase

Updates:
- It's really awesome to hear the BPV on the freeway. If you do a short pull, even in 6th gear, say to make a pass--the pressure release when closing the throttle is quite distinct and satisfying, though refined and subtle.
- The S/C whir is definitely now present in almost all driving scenarios. Previously I could not discern the S/C on the freeway due to a combination of motor and road noise, but now I can; it's a wonderful, constant reminder of the capability that is ready and waiting to be unleashed. I still love how it sounds when decelerating while still in gear.
- Drivability is improving and I would be happy with the tune if it doesn't change any further, though I suspect it will. No more uneven output/driveline jerk when decelerating, though there are still some faint, quick pops and puffs (ONLY under part-throttle deceleration) that imply the ratio is probably off.
- Power output: probably in part because I haven't had more than several opportunities to do a high-RPM pull, I'm actually most impressed and excited about the performance improvement from the eminently accessible 3-4kRPM band. WOT in that range feels something like WOT in 5-6kRPM used to! We are all seeking a more meaty powerband down low, and despite the linear boost increase the centri provides, in tandem with the catless headers it delivers a substantial improvement in this range.
- Motor sound under load: pretty much gives the impression that armageddon is imminent. It's addictively visceral; there's no mistaking the sound that this is a moderately-sized engine pushing truly big power. It does sound finely tuned and maxed-out. 3-4kRPM is still probably my favorite range as the VANOS comes into play and the catless headers do amazing tricks with the rasp that evolves in that range as well. The classic rasp is deepened and strengthened in some way, almost like it's harder-hitting, without being dramatically louder in volume.

I'm going to edit and upload the externally-mounted GoPro video from yesterday, and later today try an in-car mounting to see if I can get better sound--at least when the windows are up.
Appreciate 0