06-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
Z4G
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4

Door vs. Console

2003 E85 Z4
Check your console...I know it sounds strange.
My passenger door randomly or very slowly unlocks, it struggles, or the plunger barely raises. It always appears as if the plunger is getting caught in the sleeve and can't easily rise. This isn't the issue. Well, this week, with the top down, in scorching heat, she wouldn't rise at all. Plus, I couldn't get into the console.

I opened the console using the string that goes to the trunk. Upon further review, you can tell all these over-engineered pieces of plastic that look like a mouse trap are forced to lock the console and prevent the top from being opened when parked. Too much going on. It makes a Briggs & Stratton governor look like child's play. All that plastic binds in heat. I sanded some areas that looked like they were rubbing and lubed the mechanism which likely gets dusty from the open air driving. I also made sure the top of the console is retained to the rear or else the top release button scrapes as you depress the button. Of course, previous maintenance had broke some of the clips so that needed securing.

My impression is that any sort of resistance soaks up all the juice and the passenger door is the last in line or later than the driver door and console. It's embarrassing when double pressing, in sequence, the key fob and only the driver door opens. The fix above didn't even touch the passenger door but now it (passenger door) unlocks every time. Key FOB action: First press = drivers door, Second press = console and passengers door.

Also, 5 years ago, when I bought the car, I wanted the console lock to work, so I replaced the actuator. Additionally, the console would open with the center console button when the car was locked but top down, so there is a TSP where they fix that for free.
Appreciate 0