08-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

DIY Gauges Install - S54

*** photobucket fix
"If you're using Google Chrome, go to the three dots on the right side of the screen and click them. A drop down should appear. Hover your mouse over "More Tools," and when the next drop down appears, click on extensions. Go to the link towards the bottom that says "Get more extensions." In the search box, type "Photobucket Fix," and hit enter. Click the install button and once it's done, you should be able to see photobucket pictures again.

For FireFox users, click on the three bars on the right side of the screen, then click on add ons. Click search for "photobucket hotlink" and click install. Same result."
************************************************** ************************************************** *****

Part 1 Air Collector removal

If you looked at the other thread I posted, I considered other possibilities for the sender location.

One definite thing for me was that it had to be an OE like install.
That ruled out the filter lid kits!

I was somewhat reluctant to use the spare port available under the air collector, only because it looked like a BIG job to take it off to gain access to the oil pressure point location.
The thing that I was most concerned about were those flush Oetiker clamps on the intake runners.
As it turned out, it was pretty easy to get the collector off.

The first thing is the air filter box, disconnect the MAF sensor & remove the flex elbow to the air collector.

...then

The Oetiker clamps on the intake runners.
I bought a tool for these & found that it wasn't much good due to the restricted access with all the tubing running through that area.
I found that good ole needle nose pliers and a small blade screw driver worked just fine.

The first thing I had to figure out was how they actually clipped together (thanks google).
This is the first clip I took off, you can see how the lower band locks into the upper....

To release the clamp I found that squeezing the back clips made it easier to release the lock with a small flat screw driver.
My first attempt was to squeeze the front clips but that just kept the pressure down & it wouldn't release very easily.

..putting them back on I will use the front clips. It should make it easier to lock in place.

The air collector...
Once the intake runner clamps are off, there are several other things to disconnect.
- the oil dipstick tube where it bolts to the collector
- the bottom support bracket (2 nuts)
- several tubes, which generally have some sort of quick connect.

after all that you will end up with this
(arrows show bottom tubes & lower bracket)

...the bonus
The left side engine mount bolts are fully exposed.
time for some preemptive mtce.
- my bolts were barely more than snug

10.9 s installed
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 12-05-2017 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0