View Single Post
      05-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
just-right
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Finally, I managed to work a bit more on both the splitter and the canards. The aim was to make the canard more holistic with the splitter so I included a similar endplate detail and leading edge treatment. Aerodynamically, this helps to manage the vortex strength better whilst getting more local load. The canard sits a bit lower to help reduce the leading edge sensitivity due to spillage from the duct.

Name:  SPLITTER-V5-CANARD-V3-ISO.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  161.5 KB

Name:  DETAIL.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  97.5 KB

I have realigned the splitter endplate detail to be more flush with the hard edge of the bumper. The centre portion is longer which gives a direct load benefit. Below shown as coefficient of pressure with the blues being gradations of suction.

Name:  SPLITTER-V5-BOTTOM.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  Cp-bottom-view_edit.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  52.2 KB

The new Canard is a little bit tidier by itself, utilising less energy from the flow and is maintaining a more coherent vortex structure for longer. Below is a plot of flow energy around the front tyre, red being high and anything below showcasing a loss in energy. On the non canard setup (left) the flow management around the tyre is slightly less than ideal and is cleaned up quite a bit with the canard (right)

Name:  CANARD-V3.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  52.3 KB

The underbody splitter length is a very efficient way of adding downforce so a direction I will continue to follow. There are still some opportunities with the canard aerofoil sections to improve robustness. The journey continues, keep the comments coming!
Appreciate 4
Mirko182.00
3002 tii2293.00