View Single Post
      05-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewagr007 View Post
Sorry to drag up an old thread. I was trying to find someinformation on the top "shelf" and didn't find much....was hoping one of you gentlemen could assist.

As far as the shelf goes, is it supposed to move up and down with the top? What is it's purpose?
No - the shelf is independent of the soft top, but the shelf must be in the lower (vs. upper position) in order for the top to operate. This is because the top, when lowered, needs the additional trunk space that the shelf, if in the upper position, occupies. When in the lower shelf position, the top has enough clearance. As a safety measure, the shelf position is 'monitored' by the micro-switch referred to in the above posts. If the shelf is in the up position, the switch senses this and interrupts power to the soft top mechanisms. Sometimes, even when the shelf is in the down position, the microswitch sticks, falsely interrupting power.

As for me, I never raise the shelf, as it only provides a few more inches of clearance in an otherwise spacious trunk (for a two seat roadster).