View Single Post
      01-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
I sold my E46 M3 track before Christmas and I might buy an Z4M Coupe in the next weeks.

I would like to know if you can set suspension the same way as an E46 M3?
Define "set" suspension. It's all the same, the front is a MacPherson Strut and the rear is the same identical 4 link design. So nearly every adjustment that can be done on an E46 M3 to improve handling, like camber, caster (if you have a camber plate with caster adjustment), toe, ride-height, compression, rebound...etc, depending on what system you're running, yield somewhat similar results. The main difference is the wheel-base here, the MZ4 Coupe is obviously much shorter, resulting in less force required for it to rotate on the polar inertia. Other than that, the MZ4 Coupe is basically just a shorter, lighter, and lower E46 M3.

However, if you mean "set" like if E46 M3 suspension will work on an MZ4 Coupe, the answer is NO. ONLY the rear will work, the front is a hybrid between a bunch of different parts bin components. It's far more like an E36 M3 than E46 up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour
Anyone running coilover rears? What kind of spring rate do you have?
Do you mean REAL coilovers instead of a simple adjustable collar on shorter and stiffer springs? It's going to require significant reinforcement in the attachment point, especially on the upper part of the shock mount, just like any BMW made in recent history. It's impractical and difficult to execute, but I would think if it can be done on any E36 and E46, there's no reason why the rears can't be a coilover design.

As far as spring rate is concerned for a coilover rear, this is WAY above my pay-grade.

Quote:
Anyone running without a rear swaybar?
IMO, the rear bar isn't really all that thick to start with, and while running without it may potentially reduce the snap oversteer tendencies, the problem with this chassis still reside mostly in the front. Remove the rear bar will likely exacerbate the initial understeer inherent in this chassis, although I haven't experimented with it and can't tell for sure if it will.

There are other things to address on this chassis before I'll even look at swaybars.

Quote:
Did someone try a 5 speed swap in an Z4M Coupe? I know a 4.10 is a good starting point but you can shave some weight with the 5 speed swap in the E46 M3 and a flywheel/clutch setup?
Why would you want that? The 6 speed unit in the MZ4 Coupe is probably lighter and more efficient than most of the 5 speed you'll find that will actually fit. It's got the latest generation ZF transmission with significantly lightened and smaller internals. I would be VERY surprised if you'll find any 5 speed that is lighter.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0