View Single Post
      01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #169
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Installed my mounts earlier today!! I also did the last two Motorsports bolts.

After driving around for a while....I've come the the conclusion that it is like having a NEW car. At idle, NVH may be subtly higher. Not enough to make any new squeaks in the cabin. I almost don't want to write that because the change is almost imperceptible. Maybe I'll have to go with very stock like NVH.

Shifting from 1st to 2nd drastically improved!! It's only slightly notchier than from 3rd to 4th. I can shift into 1st with no problem rolling to a stop. I can shift at any RPM (from 2500 to 7000) feels almost like 3rd/4th shifts. This completely transforms the car!! The car is definitely smoother under acceleration, deceleration than ever before.

This mod is as good as (if not better than) the AS SSK. That's saying a lot.

Here's some pics..

First the old mounts (left side)...

The right side...

Comparing new to old...

Here's the Tab on the heat shield that Beta mentioned.

New right mount (top bolt not added yet).

New left mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Just got my delivered today. I can't wait to install these babies.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Did you have to modify the heat shield?
2. Can these mounts install one at a time? I wasn't sure by your write you. Engine mount bracket bolts was loosen to get the mount out. Do I have to loosen both side before lifting the engine?

1. The only heat shield that needs modified is the one on top of the right mount. There's a pic above. Just hammer it down.

2. I did one at a time, however I removed all the bolts from both so that the engine could move. Something that I noticed when jacking up my engine is that the left side will clear the mount bolt before the right side.

I put my jack under the front right corner of the oil pan to lift being careful not to disrupt that circular filter and oil level sensor.

You could do both at the same time. When lowering the engine the right side engaged the mount bolt before the left, so that makes it easy to keep an eye on them. I ended up temporarily shimming my right mount a little with some cardboard so it would better line up with the mount bracket while I was lowering the engine.

Make sure you have a u-joint socket adapter and a long extension. You need the u-joint for the right side. I used an 18" extension for the right and a 24" extension for the left. The super long extensions are probably not needed, but nice.
Appreciate 0