Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
Thanks for the input, all!

I've heard the beer suggestion a couple places -- are the techs actually allowed to drink while working on customer cars?! Would be awesome, but surprising. I definitely want to treat them any way I can (probably a cash tip too).
No, they can't drink on the job. Thing to do is leave a note, "thanks, these are for you guys after you're done on the car. Thanks." and tell the SA there's a case in the trunk for him/her and the techs after the car is done. Just a bit of a goodwill gesture that will get you noticed.

Despite our issues with some dealerships, if you spend any time in the waiting room at a dealer you realize it goes both ways. Man, some of the arrogant entitled customers they have to deal with! And it's not easy telling people who are out of warranty, and who continued to drive the car with no coolant that it's going to cost them a load of cash (at which point the idiot who drove w/o the coolant takes it out on the SA). Yep, been there for those. So the beer is generally appreciated when viewed in contrast, and makes our requests for adjustment worksheets seem okay and not picky, it's all about perception. (Beer makes everything better!!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
I'm still under the extended maint. warranty, so with the work being pretty much free and myself unqualified to do the valve adjustment specifically, I'm hoping to make the most of its time at the dealer . I should have gotten some magnetic drain plugs for the tranny and diff (instead of just the oil pan), and asked for them to return the originals, thereby guaranteeing the fluid changes.
The plugs are one time use. So if you really want to check, put the car on ramps before taking it in and use a Sharpie or equivalent to put a tiny mark on the transmission and diff drain and fill plugs. That way you'll have an idea if they're following the book (replacing the plugs), as I suppose they could just reuse the plugs and change the fluids.
Appreciate 0