09-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #28
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
If you can only afford to spend $10-$15k, you can't afford to OWN (as opposed to buy) a Porsche. A friend of mine at work bought a cheap, similar age and mileage boxster, and its like watching a train wreck. Its ridiculously hard to work on because of the stupid engine access, and the cost of repairs and even routine maintenance is extremely high.

The Z43.0 is still a very nice car, MUCH more reasonable to maintain (I don't think there are ANY expensive maintenance items to worry about), and no potential repair boogeymen to worry about. The most expensive repair you could reasonably expect is probably less than $1000. Even with an M, the most expensive item you should worry about is the rod bearings, and it costs less than $2k to have those replaced. The list of repairs costing more than $2k on a boxster is long and painful to think about.

By the way, I have an M, and I don't think I could afford to own a Porsche either. So I'm not just trying to be a dick with that comment, they are really expensive to own and you have to be ready for that.

Edit: And if you get tired of the Z43.0, you can drop in some coilovers and get a huge handling boost, or drop in a supercharger and get a massive power boost. So it has lots of upgradeability down the road.
I agree. And if you read my prior posts, I encourage the OP to buy a Z4, not a Porsche.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0