09-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

After a 3 year journey, I am letting go of my M coupe today

Hey guys and gals,

I am not too active on the forums here but I figured I would make one last post to the Z homies in regards to my thoughts and experiences before I depart.

After a 8 month search, I bought my 2006 Z4 M coupe (Black Sapphire on black leather w/ carbon stitch and no nav) 3 years ago with 76k miles for $22,500 from a trusted used car dealership who obtained the car from a BMW financial auction in California. I have been working for BMW for the entire ownership of the car, so before the purchase I had a 4 hour PPI done to the car by a BMW master tech. There were a few things that needed attention (Oil pressure relief valve, all fluid flush, valve cover gasket) but other than that the car was well sorted.

After 3 months of owning my "obtainable dream car" I was rear ended by a distracted driver in a 2016 Honda Accord. It was probably a 20 mph impact, and the little coupe needed nothing more than a new hatch and a new bumper cover. The brand new Accord was totaled.

3 months after getting the car back from the body shop I was involved in a front end impact (cut off by a SUV). This was a bit more damage (hood, quarter panels, bumper cover, headlights) but I swear these cars are tanks for their size. I have never felt more safe and secure in a sports car before.

As I go to drive her one last time the odometer reads 112k miles. Over 36k miles and 3 years I have spent a total of $2,600 in maintenance and consumables (everything except fuel). The car has been extremely reliable as my daily and has never left me stranded. This past winter I even put Michelin Alpines on her and drove past stuck 4 runners and WRXs in the snow. I cannot commend the daily driveability enough for what this car is.

Currently I am going back to school part time and have 2 more years left. While I wish I could keep the coupe, I am not in a position to have 2 cars, nor would it be smart to continue to daily it as the mileage rises. After the 3 year history with the car under my ownership I was able to sell it for $22,000, which is a testament to where the value of these cars is going.

The new daily is a 2011 (N55) 335i manual Msport with 70k on the clock.

It was an amazing journey with the car and I loved every second of driving it, even sitting in stop and go traffic. In 5 years or so I can totally see myself purchasing another one as a track toy, but until then im signing off.

Thank you to everyone who has helped myself and many others by answering countless questions about these brilliant cars.

Appreciate 0