View Single Post
      12-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #33
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

I am getting 4.10 along with ESS VT2-500 and i don't care one bit about traction in 1st and 2nd gear. It's all about knowing how to drive the car and knowing where's your car's grip. watch some ayrton senna in monaco or in the rain and think that his car was a 1200 hp turbocharged MANUAL F1 car and he still put it all to the ground.

I'd say 3.91 is useless if not being used for a specific track and car setup. There's no point in spending money for all that hard work and just an 8% gain, go for the 13% and the fun factor.

Downside of 4.10 and why they do not matter vs 3.91
traction issues:
* I mean 1st gear is useless on the track even using the stock diff
* 2nd gear is more usable with 4.10 then stock e.g.: when you want to lock-up your car's rear for some understeer to oversteer conversion on some hard corners.
* 6th gear will have a relative ratio of 0.96 when used with 4.10 which will make it like a theoretical 5th gear with 3.62 and very very very usable on the track.
* 3rd 4th 5th will be closer as if you had a 5 speed close ratio transmission. coupled with 6th for those long top speed runs on some tracks.
* I can post the calculation sheet for gear ratios and how much they affect speed in each gear and what RPM they will be in when you upshift at redline.

Mileage:
* the mileage will suffer a bit if you have some highway driving, but i say to those people who care, go sell your M or buy a city car like a Kia picanto with 25K mpg.
Appreciate 0