Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I'm looking at going with the G-Power kit in a couple months. Nothing at all against VF... I have mostly good things to say about their non-M kit on my 3.0i. I'm looking to try out the ASA blower, and I'm getting a GREAT deal from PSI.

Both the VF kit and G-Power run similar boost levels with air/water cooling, so expect the power to be close (despite VF claiming 30 more hp than G-Power).

One thing I will say: if you haven't installed a kit before, don't have your first attempt be with a previously developed kit that's been adapted for your low production vehicle... especially if you are the first to install it, and even more importantly make sure there are specific instructions for your exact vehicle. I did a lot of rework/deciphering when installing my VF kit, because the instructions were for a Z3 with one of their older blowers which tapped into the engine oil for lubrication. This is common for supercharger kits for our cars. Are there any kits that have Z4-specific instructions (ESS, G-Power, VF, RMS, etc.)? I don't know, but the kit that did would be the one I would buy.

IIRC, the VF420 uses the MAF sensor, whereas the VF480 runs with a MAF-less tune. MAF-less tunes are typically more touchy. ESS requires OEM headers; aftermarket headers cause problems. I don't know if it's the same for VF.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0