View Single Post
      03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
I really think you need to think outside the box, rather than the typical Boxster/Z4M/Cayman/Vantage V8/M3.

I would seriously suggest at least test driving the new Corvette first. I know, I know...but at least look at all your options first. There's a reason that Vette's have one of the most dedicated car base of all time.

What about a used 997.2 C2 with some 911 Sport Classic mods, or even a 997 GT3 if you stretch the budget? 996 turbo?

Used Viper 2nd gen.? Keep the Z4M coupe and get an Ariel Atom if you want pure performance and handling.

Or what I want to do, pick up a beat up late 70's 911, strip it down, throw an upgraded tranny and 3.2 or 3.4 engine in it, backdate some of it cosmetically, and have an amazing car:

You sound like you need MORE from your car, rather than people that jump from lease to lease to lease every 2-3 years, and never really get into it.
I appreciate the thoughts. I was highly anticipating the C7 but to be frank I don't find it a very attractive vehicle and its too large to be appealing to me. That also rules out the viper for me. The size of the vantage v8 I drove was part of what I didn't like.

As for used 911's, while I do prefer their look over the cayman, my impression is that the driving experience can't rival the 981 cayman's and economically they actually cost more than a new cayman when you factor in depreciation and maintenance. They also don't hook me like the z4 coupe does, partly I think due to their lack of unique presence (see them all over the place). The cayman at least offers a little more exclusivity.

I've had the Z4 coupe for 4 years now, longest I've ever owned a car. That says a lot.
Appreciate 0