View Single Post
      05-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #1682
Katsumi
Registered
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

こんにちは!

My grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles had a succession of sports cars. Sunday summer afternoons were spent in grandfather's garage where at three years of age I had the very important job of keeping the tools in order. I distinctly remember a baby blue Sunbeam Tiger, a Jaguar XKE, a series of highly temperamental MGs, Austins and Triumphs and grandmother scolding for allowing me to become dirty and greasy and whisking me away for a bubble bath. I also recall wearing an orange life jacket and crawling into grandfather's lap to pilot a red Amphicar on Lake Winnebago and the boat registration numbers on the front fenders.

For years my winter / utility car was the Chrysler Town and Country hand-me-down from my parents which I received for my sixteenth birthday. We had a lot of good times together: hauling around the other cheerleaders when I was in high school and college, camping trips, tailgating in stadium parking lots at Green Bay Packer and Badger games, weekly trips to the village dump with fifty-five gallon drums of grass clippings and tree branches during summer. The minivan was becoming close to eligibility for "blue plates" (special collector's license plate that does not require annual renewal) but suffered a series of failures related to older vehicles. Windows, weatherstripping, brakelines, air conditioner (with the almost impossible-to-find old school of refrigerant), gasoline tank, etc. I purchased a Dodge Caravan with Stow 'N' Go seating in October.

My summer / fun car had been a 1967 Pontiac Firebird convertible with bench seats and shifter on the steering column. No air conditioning. She was getting to the point where she required frame-off restoration which is beyond my capabilities. I sold her in March.

I attended the Chicago Auto Show planning to wait on the 2016 Mazda MX-5. All the talk about one hundred and fifty-five horsepower and uncertainty over a release date concerned me. That and the golf club / luggage situation. I am a northern girl. Waiting until September for a car destined for winter storage in October did not leave for many weekend getaways.

There were several Nissan 350Zs that became available. Since it was to be a summer car and was a compromise of sorts, requirements were white with tan leather and grey or tan roof. Not that I have anything against black cars. The first 350Z sat out over winter. The roof did not retract properly. In retrospect, Nissan recommends not lowering the top unless the temperature is above 50° F / 10° C because the fabric is not pliable and taxes the motors.

I actually drove three hours north of my village to see another car and visit friends. Yes. And when I arrived at the dealership, I was informed a salesperson accepted a deposit on the car a half hour earlier and it was no longer available.

A few days later enroute home, I saw the Z4, stopped, took her for a test drive and wrote a check.

She is Sterling Grey Metallic with black leather and roof. Not at all what I wanted but it was kind of love at first sight. I have not named her yet. Heidi is in the running. Installed a second-hand vinyl and mesh wind deflector and we are considering buying her the Colgan bra. And as of last night when the dashboard warning light illuminated, we will be replacing her low beam lamps.

Thank you for admitting me to ZPOST.
Appreciate 0