View Single Post
      10-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #2
TRiCC
E86 M Coupe
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4m_06 View Post
Hi guys - I bought a set of Michelin PSS for my Z4M Roadster in March of this year. I've done a ton of driving, 4 track days and about 5 AX events - the tires are wiped. The final shot was a 1,200 mile drive from NJ to Atlanta, GA (mostly back roads). I bought the Michelin's since I was daily driving the car to work everyday (50 mile roundtrip) and wanted tires that could hold their own in AX or during HPDE's. I was told that I would go broke if I bought RE-71R's for daily driving due to their treadwear.

I now live in Atlanta, GA and walk to work/work from home (working on a start-up). I don't want the car to be a garage queen, so I use it whenever I have any excuse to do so (grocery shopping, city driving - lunches, dinner, etc.). I plan on doing some fun road trips in the South (Nashville coming up) and will be taking part in the Road Atlanta HPDE by JZilla on October 21st. I need new tires before the track day for sure.

I do not see myself taking part in as many track days and AX events as I used to in NJ (primarily due to working on the startup and not having a corporate income anymore, and the lack of events here vs. NJ/NY/PA/CT). However I would like to take part in as many as reasonably possible.

Now my decision to buy tires has boiled down to the trustworthy and impressive Michlein PSS, or the RE-71R's. For the aforementioned reasons, price is a major factor.

From TireRack.com (prices include tax and shipping):
- Michelin PSS: $1,054.30
- RE-71R: $890.40 (after mail-in rebate)

Seeking the forum wisdom when making this decision. Need to order tires in the next few days to ensure they arrive on time.

If there are any other tires I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!
I have no experience with the michelin pss but I can attest to the RE71R to be the most grippiest/fastest street tires I have owned, and are very very consistent in grip for laps each session on the track. They will hold their own in Road Atlanta and even compete with the race slick soft compound tires to a certain extent. What they told you is true you will become broke if you intend to daily the tires on the street. I have put down about ~2000 miles of daily street driving, two mountain runs, and two HPDE's now my rear are 2/32nds and my fronts are 4/32. but I loved every second on the RE71R but my wallet not so much With that being said spend your money the way your heart desires.

Last edited by TRiCC; 10-10-2016 at 11:38 PM..
Appreciate 0