View Single Post
      10-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
z4m_06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

RE-71R decision - help needed!

Hi guys - I bought a set of Michelin PSS for my Z4M Roadster in March of this year. I've done a ton of driving, 4 track days and about 5 AX events - the tires are wiped. The final shot was a 1,200 mile drive from NJ to Atlanta, GA (mostly back roads). I bought the Michelin's since I was daily driving the car to work everyday (50 mile roundtrip) and wanted tires that could hold their own in AX or during HPDE's. I was told that I would go broke if I bought RE-71R's for daily driving due to their treadwear.

I now live in Atlanta, GA and walk to work/work from home (working on a start-up). I don't want the car to be a garage queen, so I use it whenever I have any excuse to do so (grocery shopping, city driving - lunches, dinner, etc.). I plan on doing some fun road trips in the South (Nashville coming up) and will be taking part in the Road Atlanta HPDE by JZilla on October 21st. I need new tires before the track day for sure.

I do not see myself taking part in as many track days and AX events as I used to in NJ (primarily due to working on the startup and not having a corporate income anymore, and the lack of events here vs. NJ/NY/PA/CT). However I would like to take part in as many as reasonably possible.

Now my decision to buy tires has boiled down to the trustworthy and impressive Michlein PSS, or the RE-71R's. For the aforementioned reasons, price is a major factor.

From TireRack.com (prices include tax and shipping):
- Michelin PSS: $1,054.30
- RE-71R: $890.40 (after mail-in rebate)

Seeking the forum wisdom when making this decision. Need to order tires in the next few days to ensure they arrive on time.

If there are any other tires I should consider, please let me know.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0