View Single Post
      07-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

235/40 and 265/35 provide a bit more wheel torque (smaller diameter), a bit more sidewall stiffness, and a small bit of ride penalty (but with the softer PSS sidewall, it's largely negated vs. say a very stiff sidewall tire).

BTW, the right sizes are 235/40 (not 45) and 265/35. I really like this combo on stock wheels. A lot!

Kgolf's explanation is on the money. On the track, I tried running the 245/275 combo on stock wheels. Despite attempts to adjust tire pressure, the center of the tire was consistently 20 degrees or so hotter than the inside or outside edges. That means all that nice extra rubber I bought was going to waste. Traction was horrible, as essentially the middle not the whole tire was providing the contact patch. (A really stiff and square tire, like the old Star Spec, might do better, but I have no data.) Basically it's stuffing too much tire on the wheel. It fits, but if the point is better performance, it doesn't provide it.

We put those same tires on an 8.5/9.5" wheel set and the difference is night and day.
Appreciate 0