03-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
I guess what I was trying to get at was not the range, but the exact setting it comes in from the factory. I'm trying to figure out without actually having my alignment measured out if I still have more room for camber. Maybe it is set right in the middle of the range???
I think the rule on this one is that there is no "exact setting" as it comes from the factory. I really don't think they are all that precise. If you took several brand new cars with 0 miles in for an alignment I'd expect the results to come back more or less in the specified range. Some would probably even be outside the range.

The range is hypothetical anyway. On my car, the max of the stock range on the front is -1.4. Most folks can't get the alignment to much past -1.0 without camber plates or the Turner washer kit (or with the car lowered). Bottom line there's no way to know how much you have to work with until you have it aligned.

My advice? First, get it aligned, ask them to max out the negative camber up front and keep it even side to side, and then consider what you want to do from there. Second, consider what the stock offsets are, and what your current offsets are (if not stock wheels) before selecting spacers. Changing from the stock offsets can have a very real adverse impact on handling due to how it changes the scrub radius. The Hack does a great job of explaining scrub radius in this thread, and why it matters (my summary of the discussion is in post 19 FWIW).
Appreciate 0