View Single Post
      05-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #21
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi360 View Post
Funny, I got both a Cayman and Z4 M Coupe, and I have opposite feelings. Wait until you take the M on the track and see how upsetting is that BMW cannot provide proper brake set up. I would pay extra to have upgraded brakes with proper calipers, etc.

My Cayman has the rock hard brake feel and no fade ever. The M brakes are very digital, with absolutely no room for modulation. The throttle on the M is the same as the brakes, either on or off. I drive in Sport Mode all the time. I also rev-match and heel-and-toe about 99% while driving. I took the CDV out and it took me forever to get comfy with fancy foot work on the pedals.

Also, the new DFI and the 2.9 L Cayman engines are absolutely bullet proof as far as what I have read and seen. I think Porsche is not abandoning all the track dogs out there. Although, you are better off with aftermarket LSD for the Porsche's. They seem to wear out rather fast.

I think you probably got shafted with a buggy Cayman and with expected dealer incompetence in mending anything. I mean, my BMW dealer has overfilled my oil in the M 4 times, despite begging them to pay attention. Enough said on that.

I am actually frustrated with BMW that they abandoned the Z4 M coupe. With a couple years of tweaking, the M could have been more epic car than it is. I believe the character of the M comes from cutting some corners and lack of further development and finesse. Nonetheless, there are no other cars for me out there currently, either the M Coupe or the Cayman.

Ultimately, I compare both cars as the M being a crazy-ass supermodel that you are so attracted that you can hardly stand it. She drives you nuts, but you love it. The Cayman is the car you marry because it is does everything well without any drama. You just have to see what you like the best. I could not make the choice.
All I can say is that I was never as let down with a car on the track as I was with the Cayman. The brakes worked beautifully and had tons of stopping power, I am not knocking that. It was the inherent squish in the pedal that was the problem. I had a 986 before the Cayman and had perfect brake feel. The clouds of oil smoke with the Cayman was another bummer and a well documented problem. I know the issues I have mentioned are not unique to my Cayman. I have heard the '09+ Cayman/Boxster are better and hopefully the new engine will prove to be more robust.

I am not expecting the Z4M to be perfect, but if you look at the fundamentals I think it has more potential. #1: The S54, #2: Variable M differential lock, #3: I have the highest appreciation for Chris Bangle and his styling aesthetic (I think he is vastly underappreciated now and will be hailed for his vision in the future), #4: Did I mention the S54?

All I can say is I tried the Cayman, I tracked it, and it wasn't for me. So, I moved on. I figured the window is closing to still be able to find a really nice Z4M since they are so rare and I didn't want to end up wondering... What if?
Appreciate 0