View Single Post
      01-10-2023, 08:22 AM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
My sister has a couple of Nest cameras outside of her house. Kind of interesting that she gets a chime on her phone when ever anyone is at the front door, but she also gets a chime anytime the neighbours cat walks through her back yard.

I'm very reluctant to use any of the smart devices in my home. Our new furnace and heat pump came with a proprietary smart thermostat, and that's it for us at this point. I do like that I can monitor the house temp while were away from home. We are heading south for a couple of months so it does offer some piece of mind.
The behavior of your sister's Nest cameras shows that Nest has a weak human recognition software/algorithm. Blue Iris is known to have very good human recognition limiting false positives.

I agree on the smart/IoT devices. Won't use them if I can avoid them. I do have a smart thermostat too. It's at my vacation home. It allows me to precondition the house before I arrive and the same as you keep tabs on it temp wise. The thermostat is from Honeywell. Figure they wouldn't be as nefarious as the big players with snooping. The thermostat saved my butt when I was getting temperature alerts that my house was too cold. It was during the really cold winter season we had a few years ago. Thought the furnace was just catching up with heating the house. Temps kept falling based on the alerts I was receiving. This prompted me to make an immediate trip out where I found the furnace not working.
Appreciate 1