04-20-2024, 08:58 PM   #16
Jays.-.beemah
Rep
Drives: 2003 bmw z4

Garage List
2003 bmw z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Ok, you installed a new module. But, you retained the old micro switch. Is that correct?

The top will now go down .....is that correct?

However, when you push top up it stalls out about 1/3 way up and won't do anything. is that correct.

1st, when you did the top change out, did you relocate the motor to the trunk???
need that answer

2nd Please do this: Take the top down & put it up until it stalls, now WITHOUT engaging the red handle by-pass in the trunk attempt to manually push the top down. Please let me know how hard it was to do this. (if it's like a brick wall stop pushing)

3rd Please do this: Do the same thing as above but, after the top stalls engaged the hydraulic by-pass and move the top towards closing about 1 foot, now reengage the by-pass and push top close.

#2 is a hydraulic pressure test.....when you posted that you need to top off the hydraulic fluid I was a little concerned. In that, this is a sealed system.
#3 Is an electrical test for broken wires in the harness that's within the top. Basically, the top stops moving when it reaches the break and when you move it forward a little the wires reestablish contact and the top will move again.

So I took it to a shop and they think its the wire that goes along the roof on the driver side. what do you guys think? so you think that its something hard to fix. also does anyone know what to look out for?

Update: it was the wired that goes along the driver side. Easy fix and saved myself 500!! Thanks you guys for the ideas!
Appreciate 0