05-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #112
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
tekmoe... that is horrible advise.

200lbs is not too big for a 600. I ride a 600 and weigh over 200lbs and it works perfect fine, no lag at all. If you have a bigger frame (read 6'2" and taller) then you may be more comfortable on a bigger bike, obviously.

The liter bikes are not better all around. They have a more power that comes with the loss of a lot of handling. They are much more difficult to throw around turns than a 600, which is why I still ride a 600 and not a liter bike. I prefer the super fast with the maneuverability instead of having a little more super fast at the loss of some fun.

I don't care how responsible you are. Buying an R1 as a first bike is a retarded thing to do.

Sorry my opinion is different than yours. Like I said, I've been riding for close to 12 years on the street now and I've seen a lot. I've ridden with a lot of different people as well. There are those who are responsible and those who are not. Whether its a moped or a turbo Hayabusa, you can still kill yourself pretty easily with a little bit of stupidity and irresponsibility.

Do you go to the track often? If so, then yes, a 600 probably is more fun. But for city riding, there's nothing better than a big stump-pulling-torque of a motor that can get you from stoplight to stoplight in a thrilling fashion (all while still being responsible of course). A 600 (ZX6R, R6, GSXR600, etc etc) is utter crap for this type of riding. An SV650 on the other hand is great.

Maybe you don't have the responsibility that others have and a 600 is better for you. Nothing wrong with that. But I'm sticking to my guns and telling nmulax that he should not be scared of a bigger bike just because it has more power. He may need that power in a critical situation - it's happened to me more than once. BUT if he knows he has little to no self-control, then a motorcycle is probably not the wisest choice for him in the first place.
Appreciate 0