View Single Post
      07-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #17
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

ITS ALIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After a little dumb moment on my part, it started up just fine and idled nicely for 15 minutes. On second-4th startup the idle was hunting like a vacuum leak, but I checked all the connections and found nothing. Then it started up fine again, just left me with a CEL. No biggie. I have a video of it starting the first time =)

Over-all I'd rate the install a 16 hour job, and a big pain in the ass. One of the intercooler pipes is a bit short, and the silicone elbow connecting it to the airbox is too small. Basically its barely hanging in there, after 3 hours of cursing and sweating. I'm gonna request a longer silicone coupler. Other things weren't very clear either, but this one was the most annoying

We'll do water/meth after getting on a dyno first.

The good news is that 265mm Hankook V12s are decent at containing the power, much to my surprise. I'm sure a 275mm Advan AD08 or a Bridgestone RE-11 will provide adequate traction further down the road(no pun intended). The differential works HARD to keep it hooked in the first 2 gears. When you get on the throttle, the back of the car is just FIGHTING around, yet the chassis/diff/tires do a good job containing it.

The difference is very noticeable in 1st gear, even under light throttle. The car feels SO much more alive. Since its night time, I kept the traction on for the dicking around parts. I took off in 1st gear, and even though the traction control was on, the blower gave it a big middle finger and spun through the tires. I was magic. You can't just mess around with this car at night, it demands your full attention, and it accelerates faster than your mind expects it to.

It does NOT have the raw punch of a Dodge Viper, but it makes me just as excited to drive it, and the acceleration is almost as fun. I only took it past 7000rpm once, and the ecu is still adapting.

I'm running euro headers, and the car is surprisingly quiet. In fact, its quieter than headers+afe intake. I could probably remove the other cats and still be OK. I'm running the stock mufflers for various reasons. It makes a light growl, and whistles all over the place all the time. I personally LOVE the fucking whistling sounds, its like a tea kettle, or my friends upgraded 911 turbo's turboes. I can barely hear the pressure release valve. The blower has little chatter on idle, not as scary as others have described it. It was not overfilled with oil from the factory, although getting to that dipstick is a bitch.

Overall so far I'm very very happy, and glad I skipped stage 1 and went straight to stage 2. Most importantly, I'm excited to drive my car again and again