12-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #37
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I read this last night (on my crappy phone, since my home computer is under repair, or I would have commented then).

My wife, who is an artist, was working out in her studio while I was catching up on forum stuff. Next thing I know, there's a lot of those same sailor words flying out from the studio, along with commentary in between about how she "didn't let the last coat dry before adding a new layer and it's seeping through", and how with the damp weather she should have accounted for drying times, etc..

This particular piece was on wood with something like 15 layers (I think there are 10 more to go). As in your case, the piece was saved, but not before a lot of remedial work. The feelings described pretty well matched yours. I mentioned this post, and she said "I know just how he feels".

Well, today is a new day, and it looks like you both have made great progress! It's looking good!

I'm sure glad she was able to save it, and on wood too, that's scary. Oh it's just utterly disgusting and all you can do is sit there and watch it happen before your eyes and pray it doesn't get too much worse.

The base coats in base coat / clear coat systems will lift if you don't wait long enough between coats but the poly urethane clears and kandies you put over them will lift if you wait too long between coats unless you let them cure at least 12 hrs scuff with 600 - 1000 grit and then start over.

I can't do anyting with wood but I can make anything out of metal. I'm not much of a creative artist but I can duplicate what I can see and stare at something like my Z for a minute and then close my eyes and visualize what I want it look like before it's done. My hat is off to your Lady!

Appreciate 0